Make a campaign contribution – receive a dollar-for-dollar refund!

Take advantage of the Minnesota Political Contribution Refund Program.

 Retirees Must Become Engaged in the Political Process!

Hey, Retirees, “can you spare $50 for a few weeks?” REAM Vice President, Paul Ehrhard asked.

            His pitch was one of a horde of similar pleas that Minnesotans are receiving these days heralding the return of the state’s Political Contribution Refund program.

The two-decade-old program allows Minnesota registered voters to contribute up to $50 per individual or $100 per married couple, to a Minnesota registered legislative candidate or political party and get a tax refund back from the state. It’s designed to get candidates to agree to spending limits and amplify the voices of regular Minnesotans.

The refund system has been on ­hiatus for four years, the result of skinny state budgets

“When it went away, it reduced the ability for average people in Minnesota without a lot of means to have political influence,”

Every single registered voter in Minnesota is now eligible to donate up to $50 per individual or $100 per couple. It’s a quick, free way to fund legislative candidates and state office holders you support – and it’s never been more important to support a candidate. You will have your donation fully refunded (this does not apply for Federal offices- US Senate or US Congress).

          We urge retirees to support leaders who embody your ideals and principles especially as it relates to our TRA and PERA Defined Pension plans.

 Why retirees must become Involved in the political process?

Having an open-minded Governor and House of Representative after the 2018 election will be critical to addressing long term sustainability of our TRA and PERA defined pension plans. We need friends at the Capitol!

REAM urges every member to make campaign contributions to the Governor and/or House of Representative candidate that you will support in the 2018 election.   Candidates appreciate contributions to their campaign – it also gives you a chance to promote your concerns. When you send a contribution, mention that you are a retired educator who is concerned that your TRA defined pension plan be strengthened.    

 Please Write a check to Minnesota Legislative Candidates or State Office seekers in 2017 and in 2018 and get up to $50 direct dollar-for-dollar refund from the State. See how PCR works below – taken from the Minnesota Department of Revenue website.

 How to Use the Minnesota Political Contribution Refund Program?

          You can request a Political Contribution Refund if you contribute money to qualified candidates who have filed their candidacy with the Secretary of State for the Minnesota State Senate or House of representatives; for Minnesota governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, state auditor and Minnesota political parties.

 You can only request one refund for each calendar year that you made contributions. If making several small donations to eligible candidates or party units, wait to submit a Political Contribution Refund form until all are received or the receipts received total at least $50 per individual or $100 per couple.

What contributions qualify for a refund?

Political contributions you made to eligible state candidates or political parties (not US Senate or Congressional candidates) on or after July 1, 2017. Contributions made before that date do not qualify for a refund.

 How much is the refund?

The refund is the amount of your contributions up to $50 for an individual or $100 for a married couple (if you file a joint Political Contribution Refund application).  Usually you will receive your refund within 6 weeks of submitting the refund application.

 How do I request a refund?

You must attach copies of the receipts you received for contributions being claimed on your application. Most political parties/candidates will mail you a receipt and the necessary 2017 Form PCR, Political Contribution Refund Application. Mail the form and receipt to: Minnesota Department of Revenue, Political Contribution Refund St. Paul, MN 55146-1800.

 Call the State Capitol at 800-652-9094 between 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. Mon.- Fri. if you have questions.

The State can only accept Form EP-3 receipts that you received from a qualified candidate or political party as proof of your contribution(s).

 When can I file?

You may apply for your refund at any time, but no later than April 16, 2018. You will receive your dollar-for-dollar refund of up to $50 per individual or $100 per couple in about 4-8 weeks!

  Please “Make A Difference” In Minnesota Elections!

 Thank You!!!